Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Deliberate Blog

It seems to me that "successful" blogs are those with purpose. Blogs that are dedicated to a specific point of view, such as food blogs, political blogs of any flavor, news blogs- basically, special interest blogs are successful blogs.

(I am, of course, defining "a successful" blog as a blog that people actually read and follow, not simply the ramblings of one person stranded in the Pacific Ocean desert shouting underwater to the fish, which is somewhat similar to writing on the internet. There's a different cliche saying, I think. Something about trees and mimes.)

Originally, this was going to be about eating vegan in an un-vegan world. I'm sure it still will be occasionally. Additionally, at one point I was going to be writing on a soup blog that Jen (my sister of anywhere from 4 days to 5 years, depending on your counting system) and I came up with. Perhaps I'll pick that one back up, or integrate it into here. I don't want this to be a blog in lieu of therapy, or whining about anything that vexes me personally, besides perhaps the driving habits of anonymous strangers or highly specific, contextualized logic fails.

This is not a blog about math, or space, though it might occasionally be a blog about tea and flowers. It is definitely a blog about my dog. I am sure I will write about food. I will likely also write about condoms. I will probably write about books. I may write about my therapist.

You see, I think this blog is in fact the blog I don't want it to be. I have had a long paralyzing...fear? Block? Disinterest? Phobia? whatever- of writing. It has stifled me academically and personally. Ultimately, this is a "therapy blog." However, this isn't going to be scads of posts about being emo or damaged or whatever else the indie bands are calling it these days.

Whippersnappers.

There is no purpose here. This isn't dedicated to vegan food, or mental health, or dog training, or working in medical device manufacturing or sexual health and education. There will be soup, and some books I'm sure. There may even be pictures. There wil probably be politics. I also enjoy puzzles. I have a very long backlog of crafts which seems to be growing larger daily.

Pressed to pick a purpose, I would probably propose...um...paliteration. Actually, I would choose exploration, or finding purpose or dedication or direction, or maybe it's just about creating.

So there. Now I'm taking my blog and going home.

No comments:

Post a Comment